Shikanjvi recipe, mint ginger shikanji

Shikanjvi or shikanji is lemon drink made with spices available in our pantry. It is a traditional Punjabi drink sweet, salty and tangy, with pepper. I added ginger and mint just like I had in a restaurant.
I saw shikanjvi in Punjab grill menu here in Singapore. For a change from jal jeera, Vj ordered shikanjvi. He loved it and asked me to taste it. I tasted a sip and it was really good. I had just made aam panna then and posted in my blog too. This drink was also similarly tasting for me. From then I wanted to try at home. Later once had chance to taste in another restaurant, it had ginger in it. So I too tried with ginger.
Basically it is lemon drink sweet, sour, salty with black pepper. Ginger and mint are just added for a twist. I doubt if Punjab grill shikanjvi had ginger, but the other restaurant had ginger for sure. I love kala namak and roasted jeera combo. So I slightly roasted my cumin (jeera) and added in the drink. I am out of kala namak so added chaat masala, but strongly recommend kala namak.
Shikanjvi

Shikanjvi recipe

Recipe Cuisine: Indian |  Recipe Category: Drink
Prep Time: 10 minsCook time: 0 minsServes: 2  | Author:

Click here for cup measurements

Shikanjvi or shikanji is lemon drink made with spices available in our pantry. It is a traditional Punjabi drink sweet, salty and tangy, with pepper. I added ginger and mint just like I had in a restaurant.
Shikanjvi recipe

Ingredients

Lemon - 2
Black pepper, crushed - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds, roasted - 1/4 tsp
Black salt/ kala namak - 1 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Mint leaves - 4
Ginger - 1/2 tsp

Method

  1. Take black salt, sugar, crushed ginger, mint leaves, cumin seeds, black pepper in a jar.
  2. Muddle with back of a wooden ladle or similar stick. Squeeze in the lemon.
  3. Add chilled water (2 cups) and mix well.

Notes

  • I added chaat masala in place of kala namak but strongly recommend kala namak for flavour.
  • I added unrefined sugar.
  • Do not add more ginger or mint. Also be gentle while muddling. 
Tags: Shikanjvi, shikani, lemon drink

Step by step preparation:

  1. Take black salt, sugar, crushed ginger, mint leaves, cumin seeds, black pepper in a jar.method-shikanjvi-1
  2. Muddle with back of a wooden ladle or similar stick. Squeeze in the lemon.method-shikanjvi-2
  3. Add chilled water (2 cups) and mix well.method-shikanjvi-3
shikanji-recipe


from Rak's Kitchen https://ift.tt/2IJ0BRX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best kitchen