Thengai paal murukku recipe, Coconut milk murukku

thengai paal murukku
Coconut milk murukku prepared with rice flour, moong dal flour and coconut milk as main ingredients. Crispy and flavourful murukku, perfect for Deepavali snacks.
Thengai paal murukku is in my Diwali post list for many years now. As usual I kept postponing, as I somehow had the thought that coconut milk might give you hard murukku and take a long time to cook. Not just a thought, it is because I have experienced it when few times my magizhampoo murukku turned kadak mudak 😁(hard). Later only I learnt that it was not because of coconut milk, it was because of the sugar candy/ sugar we use in that particular recipe, the murukku turns hard. If we use excess sweetener, it turns hard. 
So I thought this year I should try this out as I have a long list of pending posts in my Diwali to do posts. And it came out so white and crisp too. I used my small pithalai murukku achu (brass murukku press) that my mami got me in Kumbakonam. I used the three star shaped murukku plate for this as I have not used it for any of my posts if I am not wrong 😄
coconut-milk-murukku
While making the murukku, I thought instead of adding butter, let me skip it and add oil itself. So this thengai paal murukku is vegan too😉 Later I thought I could have added coconut oil to enhance the flavour more as we use coconut oil here. Nevertheless, it turned out really good and flavourful. Do try this for your Deepavali snacks and let me know how you liked it. Check my other murukku recipes.

Thengai paal murukku recipe

Recipe Cuisine: Indian |  Recipe Category: Snacks
Prep Time: 15 mins  Cook time: 20 minsYields: 15  | Author:

Click here for cup measurements

Coconut milk murukku prepared with rice flour, moong dal flour and coconut milk as main ingredients. Crispy and flavourful murukku, perfect for Deepavali snacks.
thengai paal murukku recipe

Ingredients

Rice flour (I used idiyappam flour) - 1 cup
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
Moong dal flour - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp + to deep fry
Salt - as needed
To make moong dal flour, (paasi paruppu flour) - dry roast yellow moong dal in a kadai over medium flame until it turns slightly golden. Cool down, powder in a mixie. Sieve it and store to use it.

Thengai paal murukku recipe method:

  1. Take 3/4 cup grated coconut and grind it with 1/2 cup warm water. Squeeze and filter it through metal strainer and collect the coconut milk.
  2. Use this coconut milk to knead dough for the murukku.
  3. In a mixing bowl, add rice flour,  moong dal flour, cumin seeds, 1 tbsp oil and mix well.
  4. Add coconut milk little by little and mix. If needed, add more water and make a smooth dough.
  5. Heat oil in kadai. Fix the murukku press with star shape holed plate and fill the press with dough.
  6. Over few greased ladles, squeeze the murukku.
  7. Once oil is hot, add the murukku carefully to oil by inverting the ladle with murukku in oil.
  8. Cook over medium flame. Flip and cook until sound and bubble reduces completely.
  9. Drain over paper towel. Regulate heat so that while murukku is dropped it is high, while cooking it is medium. Repeat to finish the dough.
Notes
  • Why I used idiyappam flour is, the brand Baba's idiyappam flour is very fine flour and gives pale coloured murukku, crispiest results. If the rice flour is coarse, it breaks easily also murukku doesn't look smooth. So choose finest flour. 
  • Even if you are doubling the recipe to get large quantity, prepare the dough in batches, otherwise murukku will turn deep in colour.
  • Always cook in medium flame, do not cook in high flame always.
  • You can add sesame seeds in place of cumin seeds. 
  • I have not tried readymade coconut milk to prepare this. I recommend to use fresh coconut milk as carton coconut milk has preservatives and additives in it.
Tags:coconut milk, murukku, deepavali, thengai paal murukku

Step by step how to make thengai paal murukku recipe:

How to extract coconut milk:

  1. Take 3/4 cup grated coconut and grind it with 1/2 cup warm water.extract-milk-1
  2. Squeeze and filter it through metal strainer and collect the coconut milk.extract-milk-2
  3. Use this coconut milk to knead dough for the murukku.extract-milk-3

How to prepare murukku dough:

  1. I used store bought moong dal flour, so roasted it before using.Flour-prep-4
  2. In a mixing bowl, add rice flour,  moong dal flour, cumin seeds, 1 tbsp oil and mix well.dough-making-5
  3. Add coconut milk little by little and mix. If needed, add more water and make a smooth dough.dough-making-6
  4. Heat oil in kadai. Fix the murukku press with star shape holed plate and fill the press with dough.

How to prepare murukku:

  1. prepare-7
  2. Over few greased ladles, squeeze the murukku. Once oil is hot, add the murukku carefully to oil by inverting the ladle with murukku in oil.frying-8
  3. Cook over medium flame. Flip and cook until sound and bubble reduces completely. Drain over paper towel. Regulate heat so that while murukku is dropped it is high, while cooking it is medium. Repeat to finish the dough.frying-9
Cool down completely before storing in airtight container. 
thengai-paal-murukku-recipe


from Rak's Kitchen https://ift.tt/2O4QatQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best kitchen